Nothing smells better on a fall day than roasted tomato sauce. With back yards and farmers’ markets brimming with fresh tomatoes right now, this is the perfect time to make up a batch. Once you try, you’ll never want make tomato sauce any other way!
Roasted Tomato Sauce
- 4 lbs tomatoes, trimmed and chopped or quartered
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced or chopped
- 1 green pepper, trimmed and sliced or chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1/4 cup olive or canola oil
- 2 TBS herbs (fresh or dried – basil, oregano, marjoram, etc.) or more, to taste
- 1 tsp salt or more, to taste
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Fill a 9×13 pan with the tomatoes, green pepper, onion and garlic.
- Drizzle the oil over the vegetables. Sprinkle the herbs and seasonings over the top.
- Cook for 1 1/2 – 2 hours (until the tomatoes are nicely roasted), stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the oven and process in a food mill or blend in the blender.
- Adjust seasonings if necessary and serve over pasta or in your favorite recipe.