Elderflower season is coming to an end and that means elderberry season is coming soon! Make sure you use some of this year’s elderberry crop to make some elderberry jam and elderberry pie filling, because they’re so wonderful in recipes like elderberry cream cheese cupcakes (and elderberry thumbprint cookies, and elderberry fluff, and elderberry frosting….).
We’ve heard from a lot of people who have my elderberry book and have discovered elder shrubs all around them (even on their own property) that they never knew were there. Now that you know where they are, you can gather loads of them for medicinal remedies like elderberry syrup but also for things like elderberry wine, elderberry liqueur, elderberry pie filling and elderberry jam.
Be sure to make extra of those, because they’re so wonderful all year in recipes like this!
- One recipe of vanilla cake of choice (we use our gluten-free cupcake recipe)
- One pint jar of elderberry jam, jelly or pie filling
- Cream cheese frosting (Alicia’s recipe is below)
- Mix up one batch of cupcakes using your preferred recipe or mix.
- Grease two 12-compartment cupcake pans (for a total of 24 cupcakes) or line with cupcake liners. Fill each compartment 1/3 full with batter.
- Place one spoonful of elderberry jam, jelly or pie filling in the center of each compartment on top of the batter and top with another small scoop of batter. The compartments should be about 2/3 full, with the jelly or jam covered by the top batter.
- Bake according to directions, until barely light golden and the tops spring back when gently pressed. Cool.
- Frost with cream cheese frosting, and top with another small spoonful of elderberry jam, jelly or pie filling, if desired.
If you like, you can also garnish these with fresh elderflowers or shredded coconut.
Alicia’s Cream Cheese Frosting: Blend 1 stick of softened butter, one brick of softened cream cheese, 3-4 cups of powdered sugar (depending on how sweet you like it — we do 4 cups for kids’ parties and 3 cups for a more tart frosting for carrot cakes and such) and one teaspoon of vanilla. Beat until smooth and spread on cooled cake.
~ ~ ~
Looking for more elderflower and elderberry recipes?
Also check out these on our site:
Also check out my book (now in paperback!) for more than 70 recipes, health information, foraging how-to, maps, ID tips, growing info, our secret for finding elders everywhere, and more.
You can look inside and check out a preview here (click on look inside!).
Recipes in the book include:
- Elderflower Tea
- Elderflower Herbal Hay Fever Tea
- Elderflower Tincture
- Elderflower Herbal Hay Fever Tincture
- Elderberry Syrup (Flu Remedy)
- Alternate (Alcohol-Based) Elderberry Syrup
- Elderberry Tincture
- Elderberry Tincture Tonic
- Elderberry Elixir
- Elderberry Oxymel
- Elderberry Herbal Tea
- Elderberry Lollipops
- Elderberry Gummies
- Quick Elderberry Apple Juice
- Super-Strength Elderberry Apple Juice
- Elderberry Apple Juice Popsicles
Jams & Jellies
- Elderflower and Rhubarb Jam
- Apple-Elderflower Jelly
- Elderberry Jelly
- Elderberry & Crab Apple Jelly
- Easy Elderberry Jelly from Juice
- Easy Elderberry-Apple Jelly from Juice
- Easy Elderberry-Grape Jelly from Juice
- Elderberry Jam
- Elderberry Apricot Jam
Elderflower & Elderberry Treats
- Elderflower Fritters
- Elderflower Pancakes
- Elderflower Syrup
- Socată/Suc de Soc (Elderflower Soda)
- Elderberry Thumbprint Cookies
- Elderberry Crumble Muffins
- Elderberry-Ginger Buckwheat Muffins
- Elderberry-Apple Fruit Leather
- Elderberry Cream Cheese
- Elderberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- Roasted Pears with Elderberry Glaze
- Dark Chocolate Elderberry Truffles
- Striped Elderberry Truffles
- Lemon Cheesecake with Elderberry Syrup
- Elderberry Dumplings
- Elderberry Fluff
- Elderberry Cream Cheese Pie
- Elderberry Meringue Pie
- Old-Fashioned Elderberry Pie
- Foolproof Elderberry Pie
- Elderberry Apple Pie
- Sour Cream Elderberry Pie
- Elderflower Wine
- Elderflower Liqueur
- Sparkling Elderflower Lemonade
- Elderflower Hard Lemonade
- Raspberry Elderflower Garnita
- Elderflower Smash
- Blueberry Elderflower Smash
- Basil and Elderflower Smash
- Elderflower Champagne
- Elderflower Liqueur Ice Cream Float
- Elderberry Liqueur
- Elderberry Hard Lemonade
- Elderberry Schnapps
- Elderberry Cordial
- Elderberry Bourbon
- Elderberry Wine
- Elderberry Mead
Note that the printed book is in black and white to keep the cost low, but if you buy the paperback on Amazon I have it set up so you get the Kindle version free as well with color photos. 🙂
(This post contains affiliate links. Purchases made through our links earn us a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thanks!)